07 July 2006

Wedding Fever

Going to the Chapel, and I'm
gonna give a ser -er -ermon
going to the chapel, and I'm
gonna give a ser -er -ermon
going to the chapel, of my sponsoring parish.

one of my bestest friends is getting married this Saturday and the beautiful couple has asked me to give the sermon. so, i've been stewing, meditating on their commitment, the congregation, their readings, their relationships and families - and so many things are swirling around in my head right now that I wanted to take a moment and relish the ripe fields of my sermon-writing. I know after giving several hundred sermons I may not be as delighted as I am in this moment to take in all the information and try to communicate God's participation in their love and in the world, but right now I am totally affirmed in my place in life. There is nothing, not even getting a pedicure, that I'd rather be doing that ruminate on this day and this couple and the Gospel and marriage and everyone who comes to wedding fresh from a fight or a divorce or any confusing thing in their own life and those who step foot in churches only for weddings. It is just making my day right now to sit and pray and compose. To my seasoned sermon-writing colleagues, allow me this moment of pure joy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

It is almost always like that - every time new. The best thing besides presiding at the Eucharist.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home