17 September 2005

Anglicanism and "Other"

I've spent the morning digesting the readings for my Anglican Tradition and Life class, and it has left me with a desire to know how universal is my Anglican education. This is just the newest example of where a blogring of Anglican/Episcopal seminarians and former seminarians would be shockingly useful (to me if no one else). Email me if you're interested in helping me form one.

At the coffee shop today I met R, whose class on Allergy to the Other at Starr King has opened for him a desire to merge the work of justice with the intellectual understanding of Self in terms of Other, rather than in terms of similarities to Self. His words were unusually fertile ground for me this morning, as I'm reading all this, as I'm now calling it, ASS (Anglican Spirituality Stuff). Here's why: everything I'm reading so far has depicted Anglican tradition as defined solely in terms of Other, meaning that as a tradition we've resisted any notion that we know ourselves as this or that but that we know we are not this or not that or in between this and that. I need to pursue further whether these tumultuous "definitons" of Anglicanism have any bearing on the concepts of Self and Other that R is recognizing.

This leads me to my blogring aspirations: I endeavor to guess that not all of us are reading the same history and definition of Anglican tradition that I am at CDSP. Discrepancies in syllabi might lead to an understanding of how we define Anglicanism for ourselves in the absence of any doctrinal definitions. In other words, are we all seeing Anglicanism as I'm being taught to see it? A good place to start is insitutional endorsements. I'd like to see the bibliographies on seminarians' syllabi for Anglican courses. I have my own bibliography and reading list as follows:



Schmidt's Glorious Companions
Sykes' The Study of Anglicanism
Wingate's Anglicanism: A Global Communion
Countryman's The Poetic Imagination: An Anglican Spiritual Tradition
The Windsor Report
Douglas' Beyond Colonial Anglicanism
Rowell's Love's Redeeming Work
Webber's Give Us Grace: An Anthology of Anglican Prayers


Secondary Bibliography
Armentrout's Documents of Witness: A History of the Episcopal Church
An Episcopal Dicitionary of the Church
Bates' A Church at War: Anglicans and Homosexuality
Bicknell's A Theological Introduction to the 39 Articles of the Church of England
Borsch's Anglicanism and the Bible
Cross' The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church
Hatchett's Commentary on the American Prayer Book
Moorman's A History of the Church of England
More's Anglicanism: The Thought of Practice of the Church of England, Illustrated from the Religious LIterature of the Seventeenth Century
Neill's Anglicanism
Shepherd's The Oxford American Prayer Book Commentary
Wolf's Anglican Spirituality
Wolf's The Spirit of Anglicanism
Wright's Prayer Book Spirituality

(Apologies for any bibliography nazis in the face of this [lack of] documentation.)

PS: All this ASS (see above) is a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.

1 Comments:

Blogger Preston said...

This notion of the "Other" can be helpful in understanding Anglicanism. But one thing you may not hear (at least I never heard it) is that "otherness" as a coherent philosophical idea is really only as recent as Levinas, who is the one popularised the idea.

I have some reservations in building our ecclesiology on Levinas, but that's just me.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home